How to Burn a Soy Candle Like a Pro
I know what you’re probably thinking, “I need to be a pro to burn a candle?” The answer is no. You don’t need a degree in candle-onomy to get the best burn from your candle. But there are a few simple tips that will not only prolong the life of your soy candle, but also minimize the amount of smoke and give you the perfect little flickering flame.
Let’s not forget about safety. Proper candle care is essential to not burning down your space. Between 2011 and 2015, over 8,500 homes had a candle-related fire. These fires resulted in nearly $300 million dollars worth of property damage. No one wants to fall victim to a house fire, and certainly not one that began with something as benign as a candle.
Taking care of your candle can become a meditative or ritual experience for you. Allow yourself to slow down and respectfully and intentionally be present in that moment. You can use your candle care and lighting as a way of setting the tone for whatever comes next… a bath, yoga, meditation, romance with your honey, quiet time, etc.
When you spend good money on a really good candle that puts you in an excellent headspace, it’s only right that you treat it well. After all, only good things will come from burning your soy candle like a pro. It’s not hard to do, and it’s not a lengthy process. I promise you will feel so good knowing that your candle is at its best and offering you and your space something great.
You’ll need to know a couple of things to know first. The Wickis the part of the candle that you light. The Melt Pool is the liquid or melted part of the candle that radiates out from the wick when you burn your candle. Simple, right?
- Soy candle wax remembers where it has been and it will always follow the path of its first burn. The first time you light your candle, you’ll want to make sure that you allow the wax to melt all the way across to the edges of the candle or its container. This will ensure that your candle doesn’t burn a tunnel through your candle, neglecting the rest of the candle and all of its aromatic and energy boosting goodness.
- Burning your soy candle 1 hour for every inch of its thickness is the general rule of thumb to get an optimal melt pool. This also helps to maximize the aroma and distance your favorite scents will travel.
- Be sure to trim the wick to a manageable length, about 1/4 of an inch. A shorter wick creates less smoke and soot.
- Don’t expose your flame to too much air. A soy candle in a drafty spot, like a window or near a vent, will get you plenty of soot and smoke.
- And the most important pearl to share with you is this: Always. Always. Always. Keep your candles away from flammable materials and well out of the way of any children, pets or other potential hazards. And never leave a lit candle unattended.
There’s no rocket science involved, and these simple practices can help you enjoy your soy candles to the fullest.